Fiddling, Appearances, & Recordings
Designated a “Master Fiddler” in 1983 by the National Endowment for the Arts, Rodney Miller is widely considered to be the foremost exponent of New England style fiddling, a uniquely American blend of French Canadian and Celtic influences. Over the past 35 years, he has toured the U.S., British Isles, Australia and Denmark, performed and taught at hundreds of music and dance festivals, and recorded numerous fiddle albums.
Working with Rodney is like having an array of colors and textures at your fingertips (well, at *his* fiddling fingertips).
Lisa Greenleaf, master dance caller
Rodney’s tunes have been widely played and recorded.
For more, check out the tunebook: 270 original fiddle tunes, composed over four decades of music-making.
Rodney’s tunes have been at the forefront of contra dance music.
Susan Songer, co-publisher of the Portland Collection
Appearances and Appointments
Rodney Miller is one of those rare individuals who embraces the entire cosmology of making music on the fiddle.
Lynn Martin Graton, Folklorist
In 1999, Rodney represented the state of New Hampshire, playing traditional fiddle music at the Smithsonian Folklife Festival in Washington, D.C. He has also appeared on Garrison Keillor’s National Public Radio show “A Prairie Home Companion,” performed live with the Twyla Tharp Modern Dance Company, performed at the Lincoln Center in New York, and was recorded on the album Songs and Sounds of the Sea for the National Geographic Society.
In March 2014, Rodney Miller was pleased to announce his two-year appointment by then NH Gov. Hassan and the Executive Council as the Artist Laureate of NH.
Premiere recording from the Stringrays, full of trio interplay and expansive, fun fiddling.
Track list (and have a listen)
The waltzes here are beautiful, poignant, brooding, cheerful and vivacious in turns. There is something about a waltz that is simply irresistible.
- Mary Ann Blades
- Waltz at Bougival
- Valentine’s in Nantes
- Valse des Espoirs Fanes
- La Trifluvienne
- Road to Loch Tay
- Soelvi’s Song / Serpentine
- Brimstone Corner/ Gillian’s Waltz
- Lady of the Lake / Hannah Towle
- Lament for the Country House Dance
- Home to the Valley
- Journey to the Point
Airdance ~ Cloud Nine
The third in the Airdance series, is listening and dance nirvana! A great CD to enjoy the complexity and spontaneity of this music.
- Cloud Nine / Broken Heart / Cloud Nine
- MacArthur Road / Gravel Walk / Shirley’s Reel
- Brimstone Corner Waltz
- Cape Breton Jig / Gallagher’s March / Jigermyster
- Muddy Roads / Lexi McKaskill
- Arigana Highway
- Up Downy / Tongadale / Johnny Murray of Lochee
- Cleveland Park / St. Patrice / Balls to Hall
- Chance Creek Waltz
- Bubble Pop / Hangman’s Reel
- Dot McKinnon / Sheldon MacNeil / Union Street Session
- Rogue Wave Waltz
- Hull’s Reel
Airdance ~ Flying on Home
Acclaimed as a masterpiece, this second album from Airdance features the playing of Rodney Miller, David Surette, Mary Cay Brass, Stuart Kenney, Sam Zucchini, and Marko Packard.
- Tamlin / Devil In The Strawstack / Farewell To Tchernobyl
- October / Road To Lisdoonvarna
- Green Isle
- Killavil Fancy / Hunter’s Purse / Concertina / Providence / Musical Priest / Highlanders Farewell / Peter Street
- Ontario Swing / Bowin’ The Strings
- Belle Newcastle / Scruff Neck
- Bobby Gardiner’s Jig / Butlers Of Glen Ave.
- Month Of November
- Old Woolworth’s / Johnny Don’t Get Drunk
- Napkin Tune / Flying Home To Shelley
- Cup Of Tea / Holy Land / Wing Commander Donald MacKenzie
- Elsie’s Farewell
In the debut from Airdance, Celtic, traditional and jazz tunes flower on strong contradance roots, reflecting the continuing vitality and vibrancy of the New England contradance scene.
- Gypsy Stomp / In Walked Bud
- Ronde Des Voyageurs / Reel De Montebello / Hommage À Edmond Parizeau
- Rambling Pitchfork / Four Courts / Salvation
- Kilcommon / The Volunteer
- All That You Ask Me
- Morning Star / Paddy Fahey’s / Alex Menzie’s
- Fred Bartell / Jigjazz
- Da Trowy Burn / Da Crofter’s Wife / Da Fisher’s Foy / Da Bonxie
- Behind The Haystack / Darla’s Jig / Myra’s Jig
- Pigeon On The Gate / Racine Le Beau / Punter’s Graveyard
- Förväntan / Elaine’s Hambo
- Patty’s Journey Home / Ice On The Water
- Heather McCarthy / Lament For The Tobacco Valley / Road To Atlanta
This duo recording showcases the musicianship and sensitivity of Rodney Miller and David Surette, leading interpreters of traditional and modern New England contra melodies.
- Arthur Seat Hornpipe / Eugene Stratton Hornpipe / Madame Neruda Hornpipe
- Auld Snatwell
- Princess Reel / Pacific Slope / Marcel Martin
- Flowin’ Water
- Red Sunset Waltz
- Shadows On The Lawn / Cunla / The Brae Reel
- Statue Clog / Nightingale Clog / Great Western Clog / Lady Templeton’s Clog
- Poor Old Woman / Ned Kendall’s Hornpipe / Levi Beaulieu
- Italian Gigues – Monferrine
- Da Wedding March From Unst / Da Auld Foula Reel
- Caber Fey / Island Ferry / Wild Irish Reel
- Wayne Merrill’s Jig / Courtesan’s Jig
- Frisco Waltz
- Evit Gabriel
The title of this CD is an old New England expression meaning “the genuine article.” Here you have it with Rodney Miller teamed with Bob McQuillen, the legendary, National Heritage Award winning piano player who was 77 years old when this was recorded.
- McQuillen’s Squeezebox
- South Wind / My Bonny Lad
- Quindaro / Dominion / Deerfoot / President Grant’s
- Naughty Noochie / Old Rocking Chair / Jimmy’s Favorite
- For Ireland, I’ll Not Tell Her Name / Farewell To The Creeks
- I Don’t Love Nobody / Little Old Log Cabin In The Lane / Honey Harbor Two Step
- The Huskin’ Bee
- Jamie Allen / West Wind
- Lowlands Of Holland / Coilsfield House
- The Gem Varsoviana
- Strop The Razor / Skiver The Quilt / Down The Road / Grey Buck
- Flowers Of Edinburgh / Old French / Willet’s Hornpipe / Mountain Ranger
- Elvira’s Waltz
All-Round Collection of Jigs, Reels, and Country Airs
A sublime mix of traditional and contemporary tunes featuring Rodney on fiddle, Bill Meyer on arch-top electric guitar, David Cahn on electric bass.
- Devil’s Dream
- Chief O’Neills Favorite / Paddy Ryan’s Dream / Burying Poteen
- Roddy McCorley
- Lament For Big Dougal
- Waltz For Jane
- Reel A Ti Jean / Johnny Morgan
- Trip To Athlone / Bells Of Dover
- Modern Times / Wizard’s Walk
- Doc Harris’ Hornpipe
- Sandie Ower The Sea
- Fiesta Waltz
- Mouth Of The Tobique / Jacques Cartier / The Parry Sound
- Cuckoo’s Nest / Crazy Dog
- Pushing 40
On Greasy Coat, Rodney is joined by outstanding West Coast musicians to continue in the groundbreaking vein of Airplang and Airplang 2. It represents the meeting of old and new contra dance music, of urban and rural styles and of traditional and modern instrumentation.
- Liza Rose / Stepping On Worms/ Wild Ginger
- Bourree Des Moutons
- Hare In The Hat / Molly’s Hop
- Greasy Coat
- Susi’s Waltz
- American Polka
- Reunion Jig / Pete Da Mill / Pinch Of Snuff
- Pow Wow/ Rockabilly Reel
- Bad Hair
- Bagpipe Ditty / Christmas Day In The Morning/ Young Widow
- Dragonfly Waltz
- Chorus Jig / Chorus Jive
- Lullaby For Liza
The sequel! With Kate Barnes and John McGann. Recorded in anticipation of an appearance at the 1987 Shetland Folk Festival. The festival was a total blast (and so is the album).
- The Cliffs Of Moher / Gold Ring / Hullican’s Jig
- Leather Britches / Miller’s Reel
- Pincushion Polka
- Bluemont Waltz
- The Bain’s Welcome To Dublin / Mains Of Gartley / Pull Down Your Vest
- Rochester Schottische / Shelbourne Reel / The Baker
- Swimming In The Gutter / King’s Favorite / Munster Lass
- Denver Belle / Indian Killed A Woodchuck
- High Level Hornpipe
- Cattle In The Cane
- The Irma Waltz
- Tour Of Scotland
A pivotal recording in the evolution of modern contra music. Controversial, celebrated, and listened to widely, this album established Miller as one of the most influential and masterful contemporary folk fiddlers.
- Sail Away Ladies / Waynesboro
- Erin / Soulmate
- Hangman’s Reel
- In Christ There Is No East Or West / Salimony Waltz
- Contrazz / Old Joe
- Dancing Bear
- Elvira / Asher
- Nancy’s Waltz / Dark Island
- Fair Jenny
- Cotton-Eyed Joe
New England Chestnuts
A two-album set originally released on vinyl New England Chestnuts 1 & 2 have been called “the best ever” recordings of traditional contra dance music by dancers, listeners and music scholars alike.
Rodney and brother Randy are joined by Sandy Bradley (guitar), George Wilson (bass & fiddle), Steve Woodruff (button accordion), Laurie Andres (piano accordion).
Now available as a 2-CD set.
- Lady Walpole’s Reel / Batchelder’s
- Opera Reel
- Rory O’More / Saddle The Pony
- Chorus Jig
- Narissa / Larry’s Waltzes
- Lamplighter’s Hornpipe / Kildare Fancy
- Portland Fancy
- Hull’s Victory
- Chickadees / Silver & Gold / Sarah Dell
- Money Musk
- Ross’ Reel No. 4 / Lady Of The Lake / Forester’s
- Steamboat Quickstep / White Cockade / New Rigged Ship
- Road To Boston / Jenny’s Gone To Linton
- Glise De Sherbrook / Whalen’s Breakdown
- Petronella / Green Mountain Petronella
- O’Donal Abhu / Rocks Of Brae / Meeting Of The Waters
- Maggie Brown’s Favorite / Shetland Boston
- The Gay Gordons / Farewell To The Glen
- Fisher’s Hornpipe
- Heather Island / Amelia
Castles in the Air ~ Classic New England Fiddle Music
Fiddle and piano from Rodney Miller and Randy Miller, Castles in the Air embodies the charm and intimacy of New England: cozy hills, lakes and mountains, picturesque towns, and fiddle music to warm the soul by.
- Rollstone Mountain
- Rock Valley / Northern Lights / Cattle in the Crops
- The Old White Cockade / Mary Douglas
- Allie Crocker/ Jack Cameron
- Skye Boat Song
- President Garfield’s Hornpipe
- Little Burnt Potato / First Western Change
- Come Up the Back Stairs / J.B. Milne
- The White Leaf/ The Border Collie
- Miss Gordon’s Strathspey / Castles in the Air / Janet Beaton
- The Cowboy Jig/ Canadian Jig
- Green Mountain Petronella/ Nancy
- Where the River Shannon Flows / Rosin the Beau
- Westfork Gals / Spanish Lady